Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Basics

I needn't lose 100 lbs
quit a drinking habit
raise a family of 10 on welfare
write a magnum opus
be a navy seal

Why can't I do something as simple as
get in and out of bed with the sun?
find ways I like to exercise?
eat in response to my body, not my mind?

In other words, why don't I take care of myself only a basic extent so that I won't be able to find a way to blame myself if I get cancer?

I don't have to love the whole world
be married to Karenin
or love someone who raped and killed my sister
or serve a racist slave-driver
(I do want to know myself, and love despite what I find.)

Why can't my intent toward those round me be
simple
kind
generous?

In other words, the basics are not as basic as they seem. So I turn my focus upon Him, and abide.

No comments: